Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Long blond hair: Natural hair lightening

I use to have blonde hair growing up.  I'm not sure what happened, but as I got older my hair began to get darker and reader.  Recently it's less red, but more dirty blonde.  Although I have natural highlights they only come in when I spend time in the sun.  Sadly I don't spend enough time outside.  Plus the winter months my hair sees less sun.  So here I am, thinking of the days long gone when the sun kissed my face with freckles and lightened my hair.  What am I to do?

Well, because I can't quite my job and just go hiking all day I looked for various natural lightening solutions.  I've always heard of the lemon in the hair, but that makes my hair feel like straw.  It's already dry enough!  I found a solution that may both lighten my hair, add moisture, and make it shine like a new penny?  What is this miracle you ask?  Does it cost more than a fancy dinner?  First of all let me assure you that it not only shines your hair like a penny it doesn't cost much more!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup honey (natural)
1/2 cup water (filtered)
1 Tbs of cinnamon (organic)
1 teaspoon of olive oil (cold pressed)



I miss all the loveliness in an empty honey jar.  Shaking it, stir it, spin it.  Once you are done dancing do the same with the jar.

Let it set for an hour.

Apply:
Damp your hair before you apply.  I would lean over a sink or stand in the bathtub.  It does get messy.  Wrap it up in saran wrap.  Wrap a hand town around it.  Now sleep on it and dream of the lovely golden locks to come.

What to expect:
It's a gradual lightening processes.  I suggest you put on the solution once to twice a week.  It should take about a month or two to finish.  The one great thing is that you IMMEDIATELY get shiny beautiful hair.  Although my husband says he gets hungry while I sleep in the mask, after you wash it the smell can be covered up with perfume.

Couple of tips:
1.  You can increase or decrease the quantity depending on the length and thickness of you hair
2.  Be careful with the oil.  Don't put too much in otherwise your hair will take forever to wash it out.  You might not even notice that you put too much in until you try to dry your hair. 
3.  You will probably need to wash and repeat a few times to get all the cinnamon out.

I love listening to this song.  It was my husband and I last song at our wedding.


1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine tried this last night. She said the cinnamon burned her skin. PLEASE try this on your arm before you try it on your face or scalp. My mixture was fine. I actually scrub it on my face... Maybe it was her type of cinnamon. It could have been stronger or a different type of tree. This is similar to a chemical burn if you do get burned. Don't wash your face with soap if it happens. Instead cover your face with yogurt. It will calm your skin down. Afterwards crush blueberries and put it on your face That will help stimulate cell growth. You can use Aloe Vera but be careful as sometimes too much Aloe Vera can block your skin from letting the cinnamon "wear off". Don't use oils in the meantime. Use a gentle lotion that is milk based.

    ReplyDelete