Monday, April 21, 2014

I was left to my own devices - what I do to prepare for pregnancy

I think the best advice/reminder I have gotten when it comes to trying to get pregnant was the following: "getting pregnant is the fun part".  The more I poured over books the more I worried about getting pregnant.  We are both in our late 30's!  Thankfully my OB/GYN assured me that I don't have anything working against us getting pregnant.  Stress is the worse condition.  Whew!  If we don't get pregnant in six months come back and talk about other medical interventions.  Until then....

Enter in my crazy planning
(get ready for your introduction to my mind)


Monitoring you cycle and FAM

Everyone who has tried to do natural birth control planning that really want to thoroughly understand their cycle has read the book: Taking Control of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, MPH.  The book  teaches you how to monitor your cycle, chart it, read it, and understand you body more than you ever dreamed was possible.  I found the website difficult to keep my cycle straight.  I looked for an app for my iPhone that would help.  Enter Kindara.  Welcome to the world of opposing over temperatures on cervical fluids. I know.  It sounds like a ton of fun, but trust me.  If you have ever uttered the words, "what is that?" when you went to the bathroom this method will open your eyes to a whole new world.

Prenatal Vitamins

I've read a lot of books about getting pregnant and if I learned anything I knew I had to take a prenatal vitamin.  They come in 30 day supplies.  I plan go review them as I take them.  The one I'm taking is NOW's Prenatal Gels + DHA.  I am also taking Chasteberry Vitex to help regulate my cycle better.  Since changes in jobs, moving, and planning has changed my cycle length as well has painfully first day of menstruation I am taking the supplement.  However it's not recommended to take when you are pregnant, so I will stop taking it before I ovulate in a few weeks.  The DHA is a omega-3 fatty acid that is suppose to help with visual and neurological development.  We typically eat 2 servings a fish a week, but I feel that isn't enough DHA.  We keep the fish meals down because of mercury and other harmful elements found in fish.

The NOW's Prenatal Gels + DHA are monster of a bill.  There are three to take a day and because I wish to keep the iron supplement more time-released I take the pills morning, noon, and night.  Next month I am trying a pre-natal vitamin and seperate DHA from honest.com  It's an interesting company concept.  I recommend checking them out, but don't receive my first order until next week.   I will review them all in a few months. 

 The spreadsheet

I'm tracking all my data with start date, ovulation date, cycle length, luteal phase, and follicular phase.  I want to track my trends so that if there is an issue it's easy to pinpoint where the problem might be, if there is a problem.  I do a lot of statistical analysis like average, mean, and standard deviations.  I'm not sure if it is all necessary, but it helps past the time while I wait to ovulate.  Or you could simple do what other do and have sex every other night.  Hmmmm......  That's not a half bad idea!  Just remember to not make sex an means to an end, but rather something that is very special when you are trying to create a child. 

The Plan

When I'm told to do something for six months and come back if nothing happens rest assure I will find ways to make each month different.  Our first month of trying we are sticking to the FAM method, supplements, safe lubrication, and fun sex.  The next month we are going to see if the FAM method really does predict ovulation with an ovulation kit.  Not sure which one we will get.   Suggestions welcomed!  Third month we will explore the world of acupuncture.  The fourth month I will be monitoring my pH.  The fifth month I will be exploring more holistic approaches.  Not sure about the sixth month yet, but the seventh month will be tried after we talk with the doctor.  I like having a plan so that when we go to see the doctor I will have examples and charts galore to analyze.


Here's my song for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment