Monday, April 14, 2014

Paperback Writer - prepping for baby book reviews

Let's face it.  Reading books about trying to get pregnant freaks you OUT!!!  Many times they are written by people that have been affected by infertility.  Not to dismiss their work or their efforts, but at times when you are trying to create a peaceful, welcoming, happy, and fun environment to conceive a child you get bogged down by all that can go wrong.  I'm sad to say of my own dear friend that lost her first child due to a rare heart development (something like two infants in a year over the entire world).  Thankfully she has a son that has no heart or genetic problems.  It was difficult being so helpless in supporting her, but I learned that to minimize my anxiety I needed to learn more and to take everything with a grain of salt.

So here are a list of books that I thoroughly enjoyed reading.  Also a few that wasn't my cup of tea.  One or two that I could only read a chapter or two at a time, but finished them because they were full of information.

The number one book that I recommend: 
Taking Charge of Your Fertility

byToni Weschler
A great book for truly understanding you cycle.  The book is packed full of information and usefully if you are trying to not get pregnant, plan your next pregnancy, and general fertility information.  This book has eased many of my fear of trying to get pregnant.  I can say enough about this book.   If anything it made my husband happy to know what he was suppose to do.  Things like hot tubs, underwear, heated car seats, drinking, stress, etc.  Be prepared, there are pictures of cervical fluids!  Very usefully to help you determine things, but at the same time: it is what it is.

Second favorite book (just a little outdated):
Quite useful book to determine a whole health approach.  It uses the food pyramid which is no longer recommended.  It's a great reference book for when you remember you read something about something.  It's well organized and easy to find answers to your questions.  It even has workbooks!


 by Randine Lewis

When you want to dive into the world of Chinese Wellness this is your book.  It's written well.  Has lot of information determining what you can do to use the ancient art of herbs and acupuncture.  I didn't read it cover to cover.  I decided I would leave it till the time I needed to read it.  I didn't want to overwhelm myself with too many changes the first few months.





Not my favorite:
by Tami Quinn, Jeanie Lee Bussell, Beth Heller

I really want to find a good yoga book.  This wasn't it.  For one thing, it was difficult to read.  Organization was not done well.  Second, it really freaked me out!  I couldn't finish it, even though I tried on several occasions.  It really focuses on all the negative aspects to getting pregnant.  Maybe it would be good for someone that has some infertility issues, but not a good prep book.





Let me know if you have any suggestions on books to read!

Got to love The Beatles!

No comments:

Post a Comment